General Kayaking information. Where to go, what to bring, etc.
Where to go:
We commonly put in at Elkhorn Slough. here is where we normally meet and rent kayaks:
Monterey Bay Kayaks
Elkhorn Slough at Moss Landing
Moss Landing, CA 95039
Elkhorn Slough is a tidal waterway that meanders inland from the Pacific. It is protected from heavy ocean seas and generally provides relaxing conditions that make it easy to learn new skills or just enjoy the abundant wildlife and scenery. When the tide is high,
What to wear/bring:
- Quick drying clothes/change of clothes
- Water sandals or shoes that can get wet/muddy
- Water bottle (nalgenes are best - you can strap them to the outside of the kayak
- Rash guard top if you have it
- Non-cotton hat/visor (wide brim)
- Sunglasses (with a strap to hold them on!)
- Sunscreen (apply BEFORE leaving home to avoid greasy hands/slippery paddling)
- Jacket (for cool weather)
- Sense of adventure
Rental includes: kayak, life vest, paddle, orientation about paddling in the Elkhorn Slough Reserve with current weather/tide info. Optional: wetsuits, paddling jackets, paddling pants.
Two Types of Kayak are available:
- Open deck (sit-on-top) - more stable, singles or doubles, no previous experience needed, easy to get in and out.
- Closed deck (sit-inside) - longer, narrower, "tippier", requires more swimming skills and presence of mind to get in and out.